PMPML takes pride in being the lifeline of one of the fastest growing cities of India – Pune. While the cultural capital of Maharashtra boasts of an enriching heritage and an expanding horizon, PMPML takes you on a journey through her crossroads of a glorious past and glitzy modernity.
Be it for education, employment or entrepreneurship endeavors, Pune has become a centre of excellence. A regular influx of people from all over the country and even outside requires efficient public transportation system. PMPML by providing access through transport for educational, cultural, markets, economic activities etc. plays pivotal role in sustainable development of the city. As a public transport service provider, we have been able to connect every nook and corner of the city in the most ecologically sustainable manner, by deploying the best in technology, while also making travelling safe and economic for our commuters.
The Wheels of History
Pune’s transportation system has developed gradually over the years. In the early 1940s, tangas were the only mode of transport. It was Pune Nagarpalika that conceived the idea of coming up with a public transport service. The dream took shape when the RTO permitted and M|s Silver Jubilee Motors was assigned the task. Back then there were just 4 routes with 20 buses plying across them. The fleet grew to 46 by 1948.
Formation of PMT
Pune Nagarpalika, in its new Avatar as Pune Municipal Corporation, took charge of the bus service in 1950. Pune Municipal Transport (PMT) was thus started in compliance with the BPMC Act of 1949. The number of buses now stood at 57 and they were plying across 14 routes. By 1960, these figures had gone further up.
Formation of PCMT
It was on 4th March 1974 that Pimpri Chinchwad Municipal Transport (PCMT) came into being. Their first depot started off with 8 buses plying between Pimpri village and Bhosari. The second one came up in 1988 at Gavhane Vasti, Bhosari and later shifted to Dhawade Vasti in Bhosari itself. By 1988, PCMT had 101 buses plying across 13 routes and 45 schedules.
Formation of PMPML
It was on 19th October 2007 that PMPML came into being as PMT and PCMT merged into a single entity. Ever since, PMPML has been dedicated towards providing commuters with a safe, affordable and convenient transportation service.
Vision and Mission
PMPML is committed to provide access through transport in a manner that is safe, secure, affordable, accessible, efficient, reliable and resilient which will reduce carbon footprint & promote sustainable development
PMPML aims to achieve the vision through its mission which is-
To provide services and infrastructure for the mobility of the people.
To provide transport that is accessible, affordable, efficient, reliable, safe, secure and equitable.
To provide mobility for jobs, markets, education, socio- cultural and economic activities.
To provide sustainable public transport reducing individual motorized transport.
To promote and strengthen the use of technology bringing in efficiencies and ease of doing business.
Board of Directors
Mr. Laxminarayan Mishra, IAS
Hon. Chairman & Managing Director, PMPML Pune
Shri Vikram Kumar, IAS
Municipal Commissioner, PMC & Director PMPML
Shri Rajesh Prabhakar Patil, IAS
Municipal Commissioner, PCMC & Director PMPML
Shri Murlidhar Mohol
Mayor & Director, PMC Pune
Mrs. Usha alias Mai Manohar Dhore
Mayor PCMC, Director PMPML, Director Pimpri Chinchwad Smarty City Ltd. & Member Pune Metropolitan Region Development Authority
Shri Hemant Rasane
Chairman of Standing Committee, PMC & Director PMPML
Shri Prakash Dhore
Corporator, PMC and Director PMPML
Chairman of Standing Committee, PCMC & Director PMPML
Shri Ajit Shinde
Regional Transport Officer, Pune & Director PMPML
Kotipalli Venkata Rama Krishna Prasad
Director of CIRT Pune & Director PMPML
1. BUS DAY celebration - On 01.11.2012 - PMPML operated 2700 buses with its existing staff.
2. Intelligent Transit Management System (ITMS) which provides real time data & tracking of the buses.
3. Automated Fare Collection System (AFCS) first of its kind to be implemented in India which provides real time data.
4. Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs award of excellence for ITMS in the year 2017.
5. Skoch Award Silver for ITMS in the year 2017 & Skoch Order of Merit for ITMS in the year 2017.
6. Only transport entity to provide bus facility for students with special school bus.
7. Tejaswini bus service especially for ladies only.
8. Successful implementation of Bus Rapid Transit System (BRTS).
9. PMPML is pioneer in India for launching Electrical buses from 09/02/2019 in order to eliminate sound and air pollution with in cities.
10. ATAL bus service launched at 25/10/2020 with 5Rs ticket fare for 5 KM in every 5 minutes.
11. Limited bus stop service is initiative that felicitate passengers fast and hassle free journey started from 25/12/2020.
12. KARISMA (Color coding all routes to identify simplify maps and app) is scheme inspired from London public transportation which helps passengers to identify the maps and App with the help of QR codes and color coding system.
13. ABHI is specialized AC electrical buses for Airport passengers started from 24/10/2020.
14. PMPML held’s the Blood donation camp at 29/05/2021 in 13 different locations within PMC and PCMC and getting record break response from PMPML employees and citizens with collection of 4249 blood bags.
15. Skoch Order of Merit for Interoperable multimodal digital payment system in the year 2019
16. Skoch Award for from city waste to city bus in the year 2020
17. Skoch Award Silver for Aligning Transit on all lanes (ATAL) in the year 2020
18. Skoch Award for Electric bus project in the year 2020
19. Skoch Award for Response to Covid in the year 2020
20. Skoch Award for CARISMA (Color coding all routes to identify simplify maps & app) in the year 2020.
21. National energy conservation award for Efforts in energy conservation national energy in the year 2020
22. Best transportation Institute award by Petroleum conservation research association (PCRA) for KMPL improvement competition award in the year 2020.
23. PMPML’s Swargate depot honored with Best Depot award by Petroleum conservation research association (PCRA) for KMPL improvement competition award in the year 2020.