The Rainbow BRTS is being developed in phases as the sustainable public transport option for Pune and Pimpri Chinchwad. The Comprehensive Mobility Plans of both Pune and Pimpri Chinchwad recommend the development of such systems. The rapid increase in vehicular traffic, increased congestion, expanded city limits and longer travel distances are some important trends in the twin cities. A high quality public transport is essential to avoid adverse impacts on the health of people and quality of life.
Pune and Pimpri Chinchwad Municipal Corporations recognise the need for creation of safe, affordable and world class bus rapid transit infrastructure and services, with focus on commuter comfort and convenience, integration of modes and information technology. These would help move towards a liveable and sustainable future
BRTS is an appropriate choice, as
- BRT is a flexible system.
- BRT can be built at much lower cost than any other form of mass transit system. with greater service coverage at low cost
- BRT can carry High Capacity
- Level Boarding facility reduces boarding time per person from 4 seconds to 0.4 seconds, hence Rapid
- It provides an integrated network of safer, faster, affordable and more efficient public transport.
The Rainbow BRTS project is being implemented with the financial support of Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission (JnNURM) of the Government of India. Additionally, specific components of the project in Pimpri Chinchwad are being funded under the ‘Sustainable Urban Transport Project’, which is an initiative of the Ministry of Urban Development, Government of India and is supported by The World Bank, UNDP & GEF.